Finally in Ensenada

On the morning of the eighth of February, in Catalina harbor, I got the rude awakening of an engine starting up. After the fact I was promptly yelled at to come on deck where we were leaving the mooring. My family (Anson, Kim, Mark) and I, (Devon), motored on out onto the sea, and I went up to lounge on the foredeck. With my back on the spinnaker and the sun on my body, I soon felt drowsy and fell asleep.

About an hour later I woke up and went back to the cockpit where I applied sunscreen and sat down. At this point I was starting to feel a little queasy ,as I had not quite recovered from my sickness, and wanted to go down below.
The fog loomed around us, but my mother insisted that there was enough wind to sail. My parents and Anson put up the sails and we were going a roaring 6 knots in only 5 to 7 knots of wind, for about twenty minutes. Then we had to go back to motoring for another hour or two.

For the rest of the day we had our sails up and were going anywhere from 3 to 7 knots, blowing our fog horn every five minutes or so. At around six a clock,(or 1800 hours as my brother insists we call it), we were picking up several boats and a military ship on our radar that gave us a bit of a concern, as it was jumping around and looked like several ships.
While everyone else was up on deck or lying in their berths, I made a dinner of bean and cheese tortillas with salsa and guacamole. At nine o’clock Anson and Kim took the first watch, (9 to 12), while Mark and I rested. Then the watch switched and Mark and I were woken up to take the next 3 hour watch. This repeated until 9 a.m.

The fog finally lifted at around 9:30, but came back at 1:00. We arrived at Ensenada around 3:00 and went to check in at the harbor office. After the ordeal of the foggy sail, we had breakfast for dinner and took showers. Now I am writing this update in the marina lounge. Devon.

2 thoughts on “Finally in Ensenada

  1. ¡Hola! So glad you made it safely through the fog! And I love breakfast for dinner. Also dinner for breakfast. And cake or pie for any meal. Is it okay to put comments on your wonderful blog? We are so grateful for it! All is well here. I trust someone will tell me if it’s not a good idea to make comments. — rainy morning blessings from Toad Hall, with love, Irene


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s